[Python-Dev] CVS: python/dist/src/Python sysmodule.c,2.59,2.60

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:31:04 -0400 (EDT)

bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us writes:
 > A little, but it's a fine compromise between the various constraints.
 > Another way you could structure that tuple is to split the
 > PY_RELEASE_LEVEL and the PY_RELEASE_SERIAL.  Make the former even more
 > readable if you want, and make the latter a real int.  Thus Python
 > 1.6a2 would have a sys.version_info() of (1, 6, 0, 'alpha', 2),
 > e.g. the form is:
 >
 >     (major, minor, micro, level, serial)

  I've thought of this as well, and certainly prefer it to the 'a01'
solution.

 > You can't use 'gamma' though because then you break comparability.
 > Maybe use 'candidate' instead?  Sigh.

  Yeah.

 > Well, Guido hisself must have thought that there was a remote
 > possibility of more than 9 releases at a particular level, otherwise
 > he'd have jammed PY_RELEASE_SERIAL in 3 bits.  I mean, there's no
 > other possible explanation for his choices is there?! :)

  Clearly.  I'll have to break his heart when I release 1.6a16 this
afternoon.  ;)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	  <fdrake at acm.org>