[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:57:36 -0400

[Guido]
> I wonder if the pathname should also be an 8+3 (max) name, so that it
> can be relyably typed into a DOS window.

Yes, but for a different reason:  Many sites still use older Novell file
servers that screw up on non-8.3 names in a variety of unpleasant ways.
Just went thru this at Dragon again, where the language modeling group
created a new file format with a 4-letter extension; they had to back off to
3 letters because half the company couldn't get at the new files.

BTW, two years ago it was much worse, and one group started using Python
instead of Java partly because .java files didn't work over the network at
all!