[Python-Dev] DLL in the system directory on Windows.

Fredrik Lundh Fredrik Lundh" <effbot@telia.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:45:36 +0200

Tim Peters wrote:
> 4. This one was due to my boss:  Contra MS guidelines, put a copy of
>    every MS system DLL you rely on under C:\name_of_app\, so you don't
>    get screwed when MS introduces an incompatible DLL upgrade.
>=20
> In the end, the last one is the only one I disagreed with (in recent =
years I
> believe MS DLL upgrades have gotten much more likely to fix bugs than =
> introduce incompatibilities; OTOH, from Tcl to Macsyma Pro I see 6 =
apps on
> my home machine that use their own copy of msvcrt.dll -- /F, if you're
> reading, how come the Pythonworks beta does this?).

we've been lazy...

in the pre-IE days, some machines came without
any msvcrt.dll at all.  so since we have to ship it,
I guess it was easier to ship it along with all the
other components, rather than implementing the
"install in system directory only if newer" stuff...

(I think it's on the 2.0 todo list ;-)

</F>