[Python-Dev] Windows installer pre-prelease

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 18:20:44 -0700

> Greg Stein wrote:
> > > we install our python distribution under the \py<version>,
> > > and we get lot of positive responses.  as far as I remember,
> > > nobody has ever reported problems setting up the path...
> >
> > *shrug*  This doesn't dispute the standard Windows recommendation to
> > install software into Program Files.
>
> no, but Tim's and my experiences from doing user support show that
> the standard Windows recommendation doesn't work for command line
> applications.  we don't care about Microsoft, we care about Python's
> users.
>
> to quote a Linus Torvalds, "bad standards _should_ be broken"
>
> (after all, Microsoft doesn't put their own command line applications
> down there -- there's no "\Program Files" [sub]directory in the default
> PATH, at least not on any of my boxes.  maybe they've changed that
> in Windows 2000?)

Sorry I'm late -- I've been out of town.

Just two FYIs:

  1) ActivePerl goes into /Perl5.6, and my guess is that it's based on user
feedback.

  2) I've switched to changing the default installation to C:/Python in all
my installs, and am much happier since I made that switchover.

--david