[Python-Dev] Python 1.6 status

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:32:05 -0500

> I'm specifically requesting not to have checkin privileges.  So there.

I will force nobody to use checkin privileges.  However I see that
for some contributors, checkin privileges will save me and them time.

> I see two problems:
>
> 1. When patches go thru you, you at least eyeball them.  This catches bugs
> and design errors early.

I will still eyeball them -- only after the fact.  Since checkins are
pretty public, being slapped on the wrist for a bad checkin is a
pretty big embarrassment, so few contributors will check in buggy code
more than once.  Moreover, there will be more eyeballs.

> 2. For a multi-platform app, few people have adequate resources for testing;
> e.g., I can test under an obsolete version of Win95, and NT if I have to,
> but that's it.  You may not actually do better testing than that, but having
> patches go thru you allows me the comfort of believing you do <wink>.

I expect that the same mechanisms will apply.  I have access to
Solaris, Linux and Windows (NT + 98) but it's actually a lot easier to
check portability after things have been checked in.  And again, there
will be more testers.