[Python-Dev] wish list

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:33:30 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> * GNU CC for Win32 compatibility (compilation of python interpreter and
> "Freeze" utility). I think MingWin32 (Mummint Khan) is a good alternative
> eviting the cygwin dll user.

I think this would be a good alternative for all those not having MS VC
for one reason or another. Since Mingw32 is free this might be an
appropriate solution for e.g. schools which don't want to spend lots
of money for VC licenses.

> * Add low level programming capabilities for system access and speed of code
> fragments eviting the C-C++ or Java code use. Python, I think, must be a
> complete programming language in the "programming for every body" philosofy.

Don't know what he meant here...

> * Incorporate WxWindows (wxpython) and/or Gtk+ (now exist a win32 port) GUI
> in the standard distribution. For example, Wxpython permit an html browser.
> It is very importan for document presentations. And Wxwindows and Gtk+ are
> faster than tk.

GUIs tend to be fast moving targets, better leave them out of the
main distribution.

> * Incorporate a database system in the standard library distribution. To be
> possible with relational and documental capabilites and with import facility
> of DBASE, Paradox, MSAccess files.

Database interfaces are usually way to complicated and largish for the standard
dist. IMHO, they should always be packaged separately. Note that simple
interfaces such as a standard CSV file import/export module would be
neat extensions to the dist.

> * Incorporate a XML/HTML/Math-ML editor/browser with graphics capability (to
> be possible with XML how internal file format). And to be possible with
> Microsoft Word import export facility. For example, AbiWord project can be
> an alternative but if lacks programming language. If we can make python the
> programming language for AbiWord project...

I'm getting the feeling that Ramon is looking for a complete
visual programming environment here. XML support in the standard
dist (faster than xmllib.py) would be nice. Before that we'd need solid builtin
Unicode support though...

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    53 days left