[Python-Dev] wish list

James C. Ahlstrom jim@interet.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 19:09:40 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I got the wish list below.  Anyone care to comment on how close we are
> on fulfilling some or all of this?

> * GNU CC for Win32 compatibility (compilation of python interpreter and
> "Freeze" utility). I think MingWin32 (Mummint Khan) is a good alternative
> eviting the cygwin dll user.

I don't know what this means.

> * Add low level programming capabilities for system access and speed of code
> fragments eviting the C-C++ or Java code use. Python, I think, must be a
> complete programming language in the "programming for every body" philosofy.

I don't know what this means in practical terms either.  I use
the C interface for this.

> * Incorporate WxWindows (wxpython) and/or Gtk+ (now exist a win32 port) GUI
> in the standard distribution. For example, Wxpython permit an html browser.
> It is very importan for document presentations. And Wxwindows and Gtk+ are
> faster than tk.

As a Windows user, I don't feel comfortable publishing GUI code
based on these tools.  Maybe they have progressed and I should
look at them again.  But I doubt the Python world is going to
standardize on a single GUI anyway.

Does anyone out there publish Windows Python code with a Windows
Python GUI?  If so, what GUI toolkit do you use?

Jim Ahlstrom