[Python-Dev] Batteries Included?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:02:16 -0500

I like the batteries included approach, but I also feel resistence
against including stuff I cannot maintain.  The XML code base is a
point in case; I don't understand enough about XML.  (I just read that
xmllib.py is "illegal".  Jeez!  What happened?  Did Congress pass a
law against it?)

I think it may be time for separate Python distributions, like Linux
-- I can concentrate on the core, and keep it really small; others can
make all-encompassing distributions.

There are currently some drawbacks to this approach: non-core modules
have less status; and the documentation process is fundamentally
different for core and non-core modules.  There's also the version
dependency stuff, but I think resolving that is the responsibility of
the distribution makers.

I think the status problem will be gone once there is a respected
distribution -- then you derive status from being in that
distribution, rather than from being in the core distribution.  (Well,
you would still derive status from being in the core, but it would be
much harder to obtain, since I can set a much higher standard.)

The documentation problem is the one that's left.  I think the doc-sig
may be on its way as we speak to solve this, though.  Fred?

This isn't rocket science.  Red Hat Python?  I'm all for it! :-)