[Python-Dev] dbm clone with serious specs wanted

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 17:43:11 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Someone has asked me for a dbm clone that can store 16M keys of 350
> bytes each, and runs on Linux, HPUX, and NT.  That's 5.6 Gigabyte in
> keys alone!  I presume most classic approaches won't cut it since
> total file size is typicall limited by the seek system call, internal
> data structures and/or file index format to 2Gb (signed longs) or 4Gb
> (unsigned longs).
>
> Does anyone have an idea where to start looking?  Would a Python
> extension already exist?

I'd suggest using a dbm style wrapper around the DB-API and then
trying out the many cross-platform databases. IBM DB2 comes to
mind... it can certainly handle these sizes given the right
hardware.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    21 days left