[Python-Dev] dbm clone with serious specs wanted

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 11:39:44 -0500

Christopher Petrilli [petrilli@amber.org] wrote:
> Guido van Rossum [guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US] wrote:
> > Does anyone have an idea where to start looking?  Would a Python
> > extension already exist?
>
> Assuming you mean an interface to a ddbm-style situation, you could easily
> use berkeley DB, I belive it is limited in the 4TB range...

I just did some checking... first Robin Dunn has an interface, but it's not
currently compatible with BerkeleyDB 3.x, which just came out... it shouldn't
be hard to retrofit.  Anyway, the limits are based on page size...

	512b page:	2TB
	64K page:	256TB

It uses 32bit numbers for pages, so I assume that is also a reflection
of the number of keys allowed... given I belive one key must use a minimum
of one page.

I know that I've pushed earlier releases o around 50Gb without trouble,
but you might see issues relatd to the number of keys.  I'd ask Sleepycat
directly, as they'r amazingly responsive.

Chris