[Python-Dev] Re: Import redesign [Warning: INCLUDES RANT]

Vladimir Marangozov Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:15:53 +0100 (CET)

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

[snip]

> <rant size="major">
>
> frankly, this "design by committee"...
[snip]
> ...  see you!
>
> </rant>

C'mon /F, it's a battle of ideas and that's the way it works before
filtering the good ones from the bad ones, then focusing on the
appropriate implementation.

I'm in sync with the discussion, although I haven't posted my partial
notes on it due to lack of time. But let me say that overall, this
discussion is a good thing and the more opinions we get, the better.

BTW, you just _can't_ leave like this and start playing solitaire at
the bar, first, because we need beer too and it's unlikely that you'll
find a bar we don't know already, and second, because it was you who
revived this discussion with 1 word, repeated 3 times:

> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Python 1.6 status
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 12:46:01 +0100
>
> Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US> wrote:
> > - suggestions for new issues that maybe ought to be settled in 1.6
>
> three things: imputil, imputil, imputil
>
> </F>

Thus, with no visible argumentation (so don't shoot on others when they
argue instead of you), and with this one word, you pushed Guido to the
extreme of suggesting a complete redesign of the import machinery from
scratch, based on a "Grand Architecture" :-). Right? -- Right!

This is a fact and a fairly amount of the credits go entirely to you!

Since then, however, I haven't really seen your arguments, and I believe
that nobody here got exactly your point. I, for one, may well argue
against imputil as being just another brick on top of the grand mess.
But because I haven't made the time to write properly my notes, I don't
dare to express a partial opinion, not blame those who argue good or
bad in the meantime, when I'm silent.

So, why are you showing us your back when you have clearly something
to say, but like me, you haven't made the time to say it?  Please don't
waste my time with emotional rants ;-). Everybody here tries to contribute
according to its knowledge, experience and availability.

Later,
--
       Vladimir MARANGOZOV          | Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr