[Python-Dev] Public or private python-dev archives?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Apr 26 19:44:36 CEST 1999

    GW> And consider the possibility of open subscription while
    GW> keeping posting restricted.  Not sure how easy that is with
    GW> Mailman, but we can still consider the idea.

It could be done in a number of ways.  You could restrict postings to
members only, but as Guido has pointed out, a lot of people post from
more than one account and Mailman doesn't handle that very well yet.
Or you could moderate the list, but then someone has to approve
postings and that's more work than I think anybody wants to do.

I'm also for an open-as-possible policy, with the right to restrict
later if the s/n gets too low.  I sort of view Python-dev to be the
place that serious c.l.py proposals get fleshed out and implementation
strategies discussed.  The (hopefully) high level of technical detail
on the list should self-select.

-Barry