[Python-Dev] Public or private python-dev archives?

Greg Ward gward at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Apr 26 18:30:43 CEST 1999

On 26 April 1999, Guido van Rossum said:
> In a private mail, Greg Stein suggested that the python-dev archives
> should be restricted to the members of the list.  I prefer to make
> them public, but I won't want to impose this on others without
> discussion.  So I've made the archives private for the time being
> while we discuss this meta-issue.  (Also, the existence of the list
> isn't announced by mailman on its listinfo page.)
>
> Here's my argument for open archives.  I don't think that we have
> anything to hide from the public -- I think of us as a technical forum
> whose discussions may affect others (e.g. Python users) and I think
> it's often useful for those others to be able to see what we've said.

I favour as much openness as possible that's consistent with high
signal-to-noise.  Opening the archives doesn't affect SN ratio; for that
matter, neither does allowing anyone to *read* the list while keeping
posting privileges restricted.  And letting the world know that the list
exists -- even though posting privileges are restricted -- shouldn't
affect quality.

So I guess my position is: definitely open the archives and publicise
the list -- the benefit of an open archive is reduced if people can't
stumble across it like they can any sig.  And consider the possibility
of open subscription while keeping posting restricted.  Not sure how
easy that is with Mailman, but we can still consider the idea.

The open, friendly nature of the Python community is a huge strength.  I
tentatively agree that posting privileges should be restricted to keep
quality high, but the idea of a "secret cabal" discussing Python
development off in a dark corner away from the grubby masses seems very
counter to the spirit I've seen so far.

        Greg
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward at cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                           voice: +1-703-620-8990
Reston, Virginia, USA  20191-5434                    fax: +1-703-620-0913