[Python-Dev] Notice of intent: rich comparisons

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw at cnri.reston.va.us
Thu Apr 22 17:37:46 CEST 1999

    Fred>   Wasn't SunOS 4.x the problem child here?  There are still
    Fred> a lot of people using these systems, for reasons that aren't
    Fred> clear to me.  (Did support for some older hardware get
    Fred> dropped?  Sounds like the most reasonable reason to use the
    Fred> old OS is legacy hardware.)

There might be, but the bundled compiler in SunOS 4 was never intended
to be used for anything more than recompiling the kernel.  Years ago,
I had conversations with Sun engineers who claimed that no bug in the
bundled compiler was ever fixed unless it directly impacted on kernel
rebuilds.  Even back then they recommended using something other than
the bundled crufty old K&R compiler for building all other stuff, and
this was when there was that huge hoopla over the unbundling of the
compiler.

SunOS 4 users can probably be mostly satisfied with gcc.

-Barry