[python-committers] Moderation of the Python community

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 19:23:13 EDT 2018

Le jeu. 18 oct. 2018 à 00:16, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> a écrit :

> On 10/17/2018 03:05 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
>
> > Oh, by the way, should we have two different choices: remove the
> > commit bit from a core dev (downgrade a core dev as a regular
> > contributor) and ban a core dev?
>
> No.  If it comes to this, then the dev needs to be banned.  I would not
> expect this to happen except maybe once in what's left of my lifetime.

Ok. In that case, I would suggest to ban the core dev *and* drop their
commit bit. I'm not sure that we want to keep a banned user as part of
core developers. Extract of my PEP:

"Core developers are also expected to be exemplary when it comes to
the Code of Conduct."

Let's say that a core dev is banned for, let's say 6 months. What
happens next? Can we reconsider later to open a vote to "promote"
again the developer if they proved that they changed their behaviour?

Again, I'm really dislike the idea of banning someone for their own
life. IMHO that would be either unfair and counter-productive. It's
really difficult to find core developers, so we should remain open if
people change their behaviour.

Moreover, banning someone for life puts more pressure on the people
who decide on the ban. It's way easier to decide to only ban someone
for 1 week rather than banning someone for their own life.

I proposed to start with a ban of 1 week if discussion and warnings
didn't work. I suggest to drop the commit bit at the first ban (of 1
week). Again, to be consistent with "be exemplary when it comes to the
Code of Conduct".

Context: I would like to formalize everything in my PEP :-)
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-8015/

Note: I'm really not comfortable to talk about banning someone. But it
seems like we all are on the same page, such case is really
exceptional and will only be the very last resort if all other
attempts failed.

Victor