[python-committers] I have blocked Wes Turner from the Python org on GitHub

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 05:16:58 EDT 2017

On 1 April 2017 at 09:17, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:
> I have sometimes been mildly annoyed by his posting style on MLs, and I
> can imagine how it can become very annoying on a GitHub PR.

Agreed. I don't feel that Wes' contributions are productive, and I
generally ignore them. I support banning him if he refuses to (or is
incapable of) improving his style - he's certainly been told often
enough in various lists. But it did surprise me that it was addressed
as a CoC issue. I'd hope we have alternative means of dealing with
non-productive behaviours that don't have the implications of a CoC
violation.

As has been noted, Wes' style may be more about how he thinks and
behaves, and may well be something he can't "fix". It's very dangerous
to judge people based on limited interactions, and it's entirely
possible that the code of conduct has more to say about how we treat
Wes than the other way around. But even if that *is* the case, there
comes a point where treating all participants equally does mean we're
OK to say "sorry, you're being unproductive and that won't change, so
we can't work with you" regardless of who they are or their
circumstances. I'd prefer to view what's happened here as a case where
we have to say "we've done our best to be welcoming and work with you,
but it's not going to work out".

If we don't have a good way to do that, let's get one.

Paul