ClientCookie 0.03b released

John J. Lee jjl@pobox.com
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:18:12 +0100

ClientCookie 0.03b

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientCookie

Changes since 0.02a
* The download URL is correct!
* Interface is stable.
* Has now been used in anger, by me.
* Fixed _ClientCookie._host function (now works with proxies).
* Fixed HTTPHandler, etc.
* Work-around for netscape cookies with bad paths.
* Automatic redirections (with urllib2) now work (for netscape cookies
  only).
* Handling of RFC2965 cookies is currently turned off during automatic
  redirections, until I figure out exactly which cookies should be blocked.
* Included fixed version of HTTPRedirectHandler: does GET instead of POST
  during redirects, as required by RFC1945 (bug #549151 on SF).
* str2time function is now importable directly from ClientCookie.

ClientCookie is a Python module for handling cookies on the client side,
useful for accessing web sites that require cookies to be set, and
returned later.  It is a port of Gisle Aas' Perl module HTTP::Cookies,
from the libwww-perl library.  Both RFC2965 and Netscape cookies are
supported.

 import ClientCookie
 import urllib2
 request = urllib2.Request("http://www.acme.com/")
 # note we're using the urlopen from ClientCookie, not urllib2
 result = ClientCookie.urlopen(request)
 # let's say this next request requires a cookie that was set in result
 request2 = urllib2.Request("http://www.acme.com/flying_machines.html")
 result2 = ClientCookie.urlopen(request2)

Python 2.0 or above is required (though I may fix it to work with 1.52
eventually), and urllib2 is recommended but not required.  Note that the
version of urllib2 from Python 2.0 is too old: if you have Python 2.0, get
the version from Python 2.1 (available from the source distribution or CVS
from http://www.python.org).

Distributed under the Perl Artistic License.

John