[Python-3000] Does anyone remember the Red Hat 1.5->2.x fiasco?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Mon Feb 4 14:52:01 CET 2008

This discussion of what to install Python 3.0 as reminded me that we've
already encountered this problem before.  As I recall, when Python 2.0 was
released Red Hat steadfastly refused to ship it with their then current
version of Linux.  It wasn't until the next RH product came out that they
shipped Python 2.x, and then the executable was called (I think) python2.

I no longer remember the details very well, but I wonder if there's
a lesson to be learned from that experience as we decide how to install
Python 3.0.

Skip