[Python-3000] buildbots

Thomas Heller theller at ctypes.org
Fri Aug 31 08:07:15 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis schrieb:
>> Agreed, thus my original suggestion of a standalone wrapper executable
>> (or using ctypes).
>
> That doesn't work well, either - how do we get this wrapper onto the
> build slaves? It would work if such wrapper shipped with the
> operating system.
>
>> I just think that if someone needs the functionality they'll have an
>> easy time with existing methods.
>
> I don't think it's that easy. It took three people two days to find out
> how to do it correctly (and I'm still not convinced the code I committed
> covers all cases).
>
>> And I'm not sure it's something to
>> encourage average use of, if only because Python (and it's child,
>> potentially unrelated, processes) will behave differently than other
>> applications.
>
> I completely disagree. It's a gross annoyance of Windows that it
> performs user interaction in a library call. I suspect there are
> many cases where people really couldn't tolerate such user
> interaction, and where they appreciate builtin support for
> a window-less operation.

True, but we're talking about automatic testing on the buildbots in this case.

>> But it's not like I'm vehemently opposed or anything.  At this stage
>> I'd think having anything that prevented the popups for the buildbots
>> would be beneficial.
>
> Ok, I committed PYTHONNOERRORWINDOW.

It works, but does not have the desired effect (on the buildbots, again).
PCBuild\rt.bat does run 'python_d -E ...', which ignores the environment
variables.

The debug assertion in Lib\test\test_os.py is fixed now, but the test hangs
on Windows in the next debug assertion in _bsddb_d.pyd (IIRC).

Any suggestions?

>> Putting it up in the test code (such as
>> regrtest), seems less intrusive and complicated,
>
> It might be less intrusive (although I don't see why this is a
> desirable property); it is certainly more complicated than
> calling C APIs using C code.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Thomas