[Python-3000] buildbots

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 30 22:40:47 CEST 2007

> Agreed, thus my original suggestion of a standalone wrapper executable
> (or using ctypes).

That doesn't work well, either - how do we get this wrapper onto the
build slaves? It would work if such wrapper shipped with the
operating system.

> I just think that if someone needs the functionality they'll have an
> easy time with existing methods.

I don't think it's that easy. It took three people two days to find out
how to do it correctly (and I'm still not convinced the code I committed
covers all cases).

> And I'm not sure it's something to
> encourage average use of, if only because Python (and it's child,
> potentially unrelated, processes) will behave differently than other
> applications.

I completely disagree. It's a gross annoyance of Windows that it
performs user interaction in a library call. I suspect there are
many cases where people really couldn't tolerate such user
interaction, and where they appreciate builtin support for
a window-less operation.

> But it's not like I'm vehemently opposed or anything.  At this stage
> I'd think having anything that prevented the popups for the buildbots
> would be beneficial.

Ok, I committed PYTHONNOERRORWINDOW.

> Putting it up in the test code (such as
> regrtest), seems less intrusive and complicated,

It might be less intrusive (although I don't see why this is a
desirable property); it is certainly more complicated than
calling C APIs using C code.

Regards,
Martin