[Python-3000] IDLE encoding setup

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk at shore.net
Mon Aug 13 00:31:44 CEST 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

>> Hopefully MvL has a few minutes to revisit the IOBinding.py code which is
>> setting IDLE's encoding.  I'm not sure how it should be configured.
>
> This code was now bogus. In 2.x, the line read
>
>       s = unicode(s, IOBinding.encoding)
>
> Then unicode got systematically replaced by str, but so did the type of
> s, and this entire block of code was now obsolete; I removed it in
> 56951.

OK, thanks.

Is the code which sets IOBinding.encoding still correct?  That value is
used in several places in IDLE, including setting the encoding for
std{in,err,out}.

Same question for IOBinding.py:IOBinding.{encode(),decode()} !

> I now get an IDLE window which crashes as soon as I type something.

Yes, something like

  File "/home/kbk/PYDOTORG/projects/python/branches/py3k/Lib/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1022, in mainloop
    self.tk.mainloop(n)
TypeError: expected string, bytes found

I can duplicate this using just WidgetRedirector.main() (no IDLE), but I
haven't figured out the problem as yet.  That's a very interesting module ::-P

--
KBK