[Python-3000] Python 3000 and the Google Summer of Code

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Apr 17 01:50:07 CEST 2006

On 4/16/06, Neal Norwitz <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/06, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > Some of the coding projects I've recently been proposing as challenges
> > to certain wild feature proposals might make good topics for the
> > Google Summer of Code (see http://code.google.com/soc/ ).
> >
> > (I can't volunteer to be a mentor myself; I already have a project I'd
> > like to mentor and an intern residing at Google.)
>
> Awwww, I was planning to rope you in as mentor. :-)  I plan to mentor,
> I'm not sure how many projects I can handle though.
>
> I hope all the mentors from last year will mentor again.  I'm still
> not clear on exactly how mentors request access.  I know I can accept
> them once they are put into the system though.

I can mentor on the restricted execution topic since that is going to
be covered by my dissertation.  I just will need to ask that the
student not use it to base further research that is meant to lead to
publication since that would lead to publication competition between
me and the student.

But if no student takes that one up I can still mentor one student,
but I didn't feel I did a spectacular job last summer either.  Then
again, if my host at Google wants me to spend my working hours being a
good mentor I could possibly be convinced to make sure I get assigned
one student (two turned out to be too much).  =)

-Brett