[Pycon-openspaces] Open space idea

Angel, Vanessa M Vanessa.M.Angel at conocophillips.com
Wed Jan 2 17:03:32 EST 2019

Hello!

My name is Vanessa Angel and I am new to python as of March of last year. But I'm so excited about it, I've registered for PyCon and I'm coming down (from Alaska). I am a petroleum engineer and I've had fun seeing how using python instead of excel to analyze data changes the way I work and opens up new possibilities. I'm interested in seeing (pushing?) change like that through a large corporation. Training technical folks to use a whole new skill set and viewing the world in a different way. Also partnering with more experienced people to make magical things happen.

I am interested in hosting an open space and I had two ideas.
1)      Python in Oil and Gas: To connect with other people interested in applications of python in upstream (exploration and production) petroleum engineering. Both other engineers or python experts or vendors who have applicable products or ideas or libraries.
2)      Open Source in Corporations: To connect with people working in engineering based companies trying to embrace data science and automation. If they are using open source languages (R/python). Or a proprietary software packages. What has been successful and unsuccessful in those routes. Obviously I'm biased towards Python. But can corporations successfully embrace open source? Especially if the management doesn't code?

I am open to any days or time. I'll be there Friday, Sat and Sun, 5/3, 5/4 and 5/5.

Do you think that either of these would be a good open space topic? I am sorry to ask, if you get too many e-mail just ignore this and I'll decide on my own and send a more specific request. But since this is my first PyCon I was hoping for some advice.

Thanks,

Vanessa