[PyAR2] Getting to know you

Derek Horton derek.k.horton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 22:15:56 CET 2007

Howdy!  My name is Derek and I'm a recovering Perl programmer.  :)  I've
been using Python on pretty much everything I can (which hasn't been just a
whole lot unfortunately) for the past year and a half or so.  So, I still
consider myself a Python newbie.

I have to admit though that the first time I looked at Python I walked away
unimpressed due to the whitespace delimiting and the lack of curly
brackets.  Then I used another scripting language for a while and came
running back for the cleanliness of the whitespaces.

I also like the "batteries included" thing about python.  Need to download
something from the web...import urllib, need to write some unit
tests...import unittest.  Nice!!

Oh, yeah, I'm also an "object oriented puke weenie", so I like Python's
support for OO.

I work for Acxiom and have for the past 8 years or so.  I mostly code in
C++ and some Perl, but I'm trying to use Python anyway and anywhere I can.
I'm mainly interested in backend processing and middleware, but here lately
I've been trying to get back into some web development.

Later,
Derek