[Pandas-dev] pandas ASVs

Marc Garcia garcia.marc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:21:37 EDT 2022

Thanks Richard, really nice work on this front.

It took longer than expected, but I expect we should sign the new
partnership to get free hardware for pandas very soon now, probably early
next week. Only the final signatures are now missing.

With the new hosting, we will be moving our website as you say (the old
server is very expensive for what it is, and the new is free). But also we
can get dedicated hardware for benchmarks (and probably other things if
needed).

What I'd like to try is to set up a dedicated server as a github actions
worker, and set up a job in our CI with cirun to run benchmarks. Then test
two things:

- Timing: see if it could be feasible to run our benchmarks at every commit
like the rest of the CI. If this is possible, I think this would keep
things very simple, and catch all significant regressions easily before
they happen (also run for commits to main for the asv history)

- Stability: run the benchmarks for the same exact version of pandas many
times, and analyze the variance, understand well what's the noise in the
results, and see if we can take actions to reduce it to a minimum (fine
tunning OS settings...)

I don't know if a dedicated server as a githib actions worker with cirun
will be the best option, but I think it's worth trying the above, as it
should keep things simple and effective in my opinion. But we can surely
try other things and discuss other ideas, there may be better options.