[omaha] Possible Subject for Future Meeting?

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 20:04:29 EST 2017

Apache Spot does something like what you describe (anomaly detection)
primarily for network data; but you could probably write a collector for
whatever type of file-based data source you need.
http://spot.incubator.apache.org

Some of the Apache Spot data ingestion component is written in Python:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-spot/blob/master/spot-ingest/README.md

The requirements.txt contains kafka-python.
https://github.com/dpkp/kafka-python

http://spot.incubator.apache.org/project-components/ingestion/

Kafka is a stream processing platform written in Scala and Java for
handling real-time data. Scala has similarities to Python.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Kafka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomaly_detection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomaly_detection#Popular_techniques
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_information_and_event_management
(SIEM)

If cron with a data collection step, an analysis step, a notification step,
and a manual verification step is enough, cron or celery chords are
probably good enough and Spot would be overkill unless you want to
correlate events with captured network data.