[omaha] Meeting topics? Twisted anyone?

Mike on Python omapython at hostetlerhome.com
Mon Apr 30 22:12:37 CEST 2007

> I have a request for a future meeting topic. Anyone using twisted, and
> would be willing to do a spread the knowledge?

I played with Twisted for a little bit once.  It's, uh, Twisted.  I hope
the docs have gotten better since then. I don't know much about it,
though.

> I'd love to see meetings about web frameworks/Content Managment
> systems too, like Zope/Plone, Django, or Turbogears from anyone using
> those.

I am on a project now that is using Django and would be happy to show it
off, if I could find a Thursday night I am free.  It will be better for me
starting in June than April or May looks.

> pyprocps, for displaying getting information about a process. I wrote
> this.

That sounds cool.  I'd like to see it.

> BeutifullSoup, for parsing web pages and extracting information. I use
> this in my Sipie app for parsing sirius web interface to online
> streaming and presenting it in a much simpler interface that works on
> Linux.

I *heart* BeautifulSoup. Just dump something that maybe looks like HTML at
it and it will figure it out for you.

> wxGlade, is an app for making cross platform gui interfaces using the
> wx library. I've used it for very simple interfaces (like Sipie). If
> you have no idea how to make a gui, i could give a 20min example of
> where to start. Any gui writing experts out there want to give a full
> tutorial on any of the gui libraries?

I've used wxPython for a while, but I'm a bit rusty.

I did a Python and XML presentation for the Dynamic Users that I would
happily redo for you.

If we wanted a night of lightening talks (not a bad idea!) I'd be happy to
show off the path.py module, which combines the os.path, some os, glob,
string, and some shutils modules all into one object.  It's incrediably
good.  I'd also show ClientCookie, which reads your Firefox/IE cookies and
uses them in urlopen.

> Eli Criffield

Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com