[Numpy-discussion] Where to discuss NEPs (was: Re: new NEP: np.AbstractArray and np.asabstractarray)

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 17:10:33 EST 2018

Hi Nathaniel,

astropy is an example of a project that does essentially all
discussion of its "Astropy Proposals for Enhancement" on github. I
actually like the numpy approach of sending anything to the mailing
list that deserves community input (which includes NEP by their very
nature). I don't think it has to be either/or, though; maybe the
preferred approach is in fact a combination, where the draft is send
to the mailing list, initial general comments are incorporated, and
then discussion moves to github when one is past the "general
interest" stage. When exactly this happens will be somewhat
subjective, but probably is not important to nail down anyway.

All the best,

Marten

p.s. I think the __array_ufunc__ discussion indeed showed that github
can work, but only once the general ideas are agreed upon - the
initial discussion become hopeless to follow (though I'm not sure a
mailing list discussion would have been any better).