[Numpy-discussion] Clarifications in numpy.ma module

Benjamin Root ben.root at ou.edu
Tue Dec 30 17:56:16 EST 2014

exception? Did you mean warning? If warning, I recall some discussion
recently to figure out a way to hide that, but only for masked values (I
would want to see the warning if I do bad calculations in the unmasked
portions of my array).

Now I see your point 3 much more clearly. I had never noticed that the
divide could produce new masked elements. It is presumptuous to assume that
NaNs are what I want masked. Division (and exponential) are the only two
binary operations I can imagine where two valid floats could produce a NaN
or Inf, so that is probably why the division was different from the others.
This confusion probably came about in conflating valid-ness with NaN and
Inf as concepts. In small parts of the codebase, it seems to operate with
the concept that NaN === invalid, while other parts strictly works within
the framework of masked === invalid.

Of course, fixing any of this would be potentially a significant change in
behavior. I am certainly not one to make any sort of determination on this.
I am just a heavy user of masked arrays.

Cheers!
Ben Root