[Numpy-discussion] defmatrix move - new docstrings disappeared

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 17 13:07:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Scott Sinclair <scott.sinclair.za@
gmail.com> wrote:

> > 2009/9/17 Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>:
> > After the recent move of the matrix module, all the changes to the
> docstrings have disappeared from the doc wiki.
>
> Hmm.. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.devel/9732 ;-)
>

> > I know it is quite a bit of work to do the merge. I remember Pauli saying
> > that most of the work was reviewing all changes to make sure they are an
> > improvement over the current svn version. Is that correct? I can help
> with
> > that if necessary.
>
> It's probably important that the documentation patches should be
> committed pretty soon after being reviewed for obvious malicious code
> and marked "OK to Apply". It's possible to edit docstrings that are
> marked as "OK to apply", without this flag being removed.

Agreed. However the wiki page for a moved docstring will still lose the
history, comments, etc even if patches are committed. So the wiki should
give a warning if it sees an object disappearing from svn instead of simply
hiding the relevant page.

> If none of the current commiters have time to commit doc patches on
> demand, then perhaps it makes sense to give commit access to someone
> working actively on the documentation (Ralf, DavidG ?). This could be
> on the understanding that only doc patches would be commited by this
> person.

It would also be possible for me to publish a git repo with doc changes and
ping a developer to pull from there. That way I could do 98% of the work
without needing commit rights.

Cheers,
Ralf