[Numpy-discussion] Interactive Shell/Editor/Workspace(variables)View/Plots

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Mon Jun 8 13:54:25 EDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 12:26 PM, Gökhan SEVER wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Jonno <jonnojohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > To me, IPython is the right way to follow. Try "whos" to see
> what's in your
> > namespace.
> >
> > You may want see this instructional video (A Demonstration of the
> 'IPython'
> > Interactive Shell) to learn more about IPython's functionality or
> you can
> > delve in its documentation.
> >
> > There are IPython integrations plans for pydee. You can see the
> details on
> > pydee's google page.
> >

> > Gökhan
>
> Thanks Gokhan,
>
> I didn't know about whos so thanks for the tip. What about a
> lightweight editor with an integrated IPython shell then?
>
> I also found PyScripter which looks pretty nice too but also has the
> same lack of IPython shell.
>
> I use scite as my main text editor. It highlights Python syntax
> nicely, and has code-completion support. Well not as powerful as
> Eclipse-PyDev pair but it works :) And yes PyDev doesn't have
> IPython integration either. Eclipse-PyDev is also slow to me,
> in IPy. I am looking forward to pydee developer's to bring IPython
> functionality into their development environment.
>
> Besides, PyScripter, there is also Eric4 as a free IDE for Python,
> but again no IPython.
>
> So far, IPython-Scite is the fastest that I can build my programs.
> Experiment in Ipython and build pieces in Scite. I would like to
> know what others use in this respect?

You might take a look at EPDLab as well.   Thanks to Gael Varoquaux,
It integrates IPython into an Envisage application and has a crude
name-space browser

EPDLab is part of the Enthought Tool Suite and is an open-source
application (BSD-style license).   It's another example (like Mayavi)
of using the Enthought Tool Suite to build applications.

Don't be confused because the binary distribution called EPD is only
free for academic use

EPDLab is completely open source.   You can check out the source code
here:

https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/EPDLab/trunk

It requires quite a bit of ETS to run first though.    If you have EPD
installed, then EPDLab is already available to you.   It's still
alpha, so I hesitate to advertise it.  But, it's easy to extend as you
would like so I thought I would chime in on this discussion.

Best regards,

-Travis

Travis Oliphant
Enthought Inc.