[Numpy-discussion] "import numpy" is slow

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:01:58 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 17:50, Christopher Barker <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>> Can you send foo.stats, too?
>
> sure can.
>
> Also, I've got Shark up and running, and have run it on a script that
> does nothing but import numpy, but really have no idea what I'm looking
> at, or how to send it to someone that does (you?). I'll keep poking at
> it some more.

File/Save As..., pick a file name. When asked about whether to embed
source files or strip them out, choose Strip. Then email the resulting
.mshark file to me.

It looks like your Python just takes a truly inordinate amount of time
to execute any code. Some of the problematic modules like httplib have
been moved to local imports, but the time it takes for your Python to
execute the code in that module is still ridiculously large. Can you
profile just importing httplib instead of numpy?

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco