numpy, matplotlib, scipy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Nov 14 21:50:28 EST 2006

Kenny Ortmann wrote:
> I am sorry if this has come up before, I've found some stuff on it but just
> want to be clear.
> What are the latest versions of numpy matplotlib and scipy that work
> together.
> I have seen that numpy 1.0rc2 works with the latest scipy until 0.5.2 comes
> out.
> now with numpy and matplotlib?  I saw that matplotlib 87.5 works with i
> think the 1.0rc2 also, but i read that mpl was going to release right after
> numpy 1.0 was released so that they would be compatible.
> I am just trying to upgrade these packages before I create an executable of
> the program I am working on, and I am running into problems with
> "from matplotlib._ns_nxutils import *
>    ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to imort"
It looks like you have a problem with numpy. First, I would try import
numpy from a python prompt, to see what's wrong. I would also check that
numpy is set as the array package in matplolibrc file.

Second, I would check that I install everything "cleanly", that is:
    - first, remove all packages (numpy, scipy and mpl) in site-packages
directory
    - remove the build directory in each package
    - then build from scratch + test  each package: numpy first, then
mpl, then scipy.

Concerning versions, I regularly rebuild scipy and numpy from SVN (but
always test them with import package; package.test(100) to test
everything), but uses the latest release of mpl (0.87.7 as we speak), on
linux, without any problem

cheers,

David