[Numpy-discussion] Compiling numpy-0.9.6 on Solaris 9

Crider, Joseph A joseph.a.crider at Boeing.com
Wed May 10 08:28:02 EDT 2006

According to one of our system administrators, she installed Python 2.4
from a precompiled package on Sunfreeware.com. The message that is
displayed when Python is started indicates it was built using gcc 3.3.2,
so I would have expected more problems on our Solaris 8 machine (which
only has gcc 2.95.3) than Solaris 9.

J. Allen Crider
(256)461-2699

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephan Tolksdorf [mailto:st at sigmasquared.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 9:42 AM
To: Crider, Joseph A
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] Compiling numpy-0.9.6 on Solaris 9

Addendum: Same runtime library should suffice normally.

Stephan

 > Not knowing anything about Sun, I'd just like to note that you need
to  > make sure that Python and its extension (Numpy) are built with the
same  > compiler and runtime library. You are probably aware of this and
made  > sure they are, but just in case...

 > Regards,
 >   Stephan
 >

 > Crider, Joseph A wrote:
 >> I am considering moving to SciPy for our project as it has some
features  >> that we need and that we don't have time to write
ourselves.  However, I  >> need to be able to support several different
architectures, with Solaris  >> 9 being the most important at this time.
I've succeeded in building  >> numpy on Cygwin and on another Sun
running Solaris 8 (with gcc 2.95.3  >> and python 2.4), but I'm not
getting very far with Solaris 9 (with gcc  >> 3.3.2 and python 2.4).

 >> Here are a few lines from the output of the command "python setup.py
>> install --home=~":
 >>
 >> Generating build/src/numpy/core/config.h  >> customize SunFCompiler
>> customize SunFCompiler  >> gcc options: '-fno-strict-aliasing
-DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall  >> -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC'
 >> compile options: '-I/usr/local/include/python2.4 -Inumpy/core/src
>> -Inumpy/core/include -I/usr/loca/include/python2.4 -c'
 >> gcc: _configtest.c
 >> Segmentation Fault
 >> Segmentation Fault
 >> failure.
 >> removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o  >>  >> The last few lines of
the traceback are:
 >>   File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 37, in generate_config_h
 >>     raise "ERROR: Failed to test configuration"
 >> ERROR: Failed to test configuration
 >>
 >> This system does have the Sun compiler and gcc 2.95.3 installed
also,  >> but I don't know how to change to another compiler without
messing up my  >> path. (Our project does use some Python 2.4 features
and Python 2.2 is  >> installed in the same directory as gcc 2.95.3
while gcc 3.3.2 is in the  >> same directory as Python 2.4.)  >>  >> Any
suggestions?