[Numpy-discussion] Compiling numpy-0.9.6 on Solaris 9

Crider, Joseph A joseph.a.crider at Boeing.com
Wed May 10 06:59:13 EDT 2006

I am considering moving to SciPy for our project as it has some features
that we need and that we don't have time to write ourselves.  However, I
need to be able to support several different architectures, with Solaris
9 being the most important at this time.  I've succeeded in building
numpy on Cygwin and on another Sun running Solaris 8 (with gcc 2.95.3
and python 2.4), but I'm not getting very far with Solaris 9 (with gcc
3.3.2 and python 2.4).

Here are a few lines from the output of the command "python setup.py
install --home=~":

Generating build/src/numpy/core/config.h
customize SunFCompiler
customize SunFCompiler
gcc options: '-fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC'
compile options: '-I/usr/local/include/python2.4 -Inumpy/core/src
-Inumpy/core/include -I/usr/loca/include/python2.4 -c'
gcc: _configtest.c
Segmentation Fault
Segmentation Fault
failure.
removing: _configtest.c _configtest.o

The last few lines of the traceback are:
  File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 37, in generate_config_h
    raise "ERROR: Failed to test configuration"
ERROR: Failed to test configuration

This system does have the Sun compiler and gcc 2.95.3 installed also,
but I don't know how to change to another compiler without messing up my
path. (Our project does use some Python 2.4 features and Python 2.2 is
installed in the same directory as gcc 2.95.3 while gcc 3.3.2 is in the
same directory as Python 2.4.)

Any suggestions?

J. Allen Crider
(256)461-2699