[Numpy-discussion] Matrix query

Satya Upadhya satyaupadhya at yahoo.co.in
Fri May 19 06:18:07 EDT 2006

Dear Python Users and Gurus,
    My problem is that i have a distance matrix obtained from the software package PHYLIP. I have placed it in a text file, and using ordinary python i am able to save the matrix elements as a multidimensional array. My problem is that i wish to now convert this multidimensional array into a matrix and subsequently i wish to find the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of this matrix. I tried using scipy and also earlier  the Numeric and LinearAlgebra modules but i am facing problems. I can generate a new matrix using scipy (and also with Numeric/LinearAlgebra) and can obtain the corresponding eigenvectors. But i am facing a real problem in making scipy or Numeric/LinearAlgebra accept my multidimensional array as a matrix it can recognize. Please help/give a pointer to a similar query.

  Thanking you,
  Satya