[Numpy-discussion] recarray field names

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 16 10:44:05 EST 2006

On Mar 15, 2006, at 6:41 PM, Erin Sheldon wrote:

> On 3/15/06, Perry Greenfield <perry at stsci.edu> wrote:
>> You are right that this is messy. We would like to change this
>> sometime. But we'd like to complete the transition to numpy first
>> before doing that so it may be some months before we can (and it may
>> not look quite like what you suggest). But your point is very valid.
>>
>> Thanks, Perry
>

> Erin
> P.S. If it is man power that is preventing some of the simple things
> like this from being implemented, I could volunteer some time.

Ultimately, yes. But there's a little more to it. We've felt there are
a number of improvements that can be made and that these might benefit
from thinking more globally about how to do them rather than add a few
convenience functions. Then there is the issue of whether these changes
are added to the numarray version, etc. But help would be welcomed. I'd
say wait a little bit until we put out an alpha and then start some
discussion on how it should be improved. The astropy mailing list is a
better forum for that than this one though.

Thanks, Perry