[Numpy-discussion] Re: recarray field names

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 16:51:25 EST 2006

Erin Sheldon wrote:
> Nice.  Python decides to compare with the keys and not the values.

Sure. It is a ridiculously common to ask a dictionary if it has a record for a
particular key. It is much, much rarer to ask one if it has a particular value.
Lists, tuples, and sets, on the other hand, only have one kind of interesting
data, the values, so the __contains__ method operates on values with them.

Practicality beats purity, in this case.

> The possibilities for obfuscation are endless.

Not in my experience.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com