[Numpy-discussion] fromfile and tofile access with a tempfile.TemporaryFile()

Tim Hirzel hirzel at resonon.com
Tue Dec 12 16:56:08 EST 2006

Good thought Chris,
Normal reading and writing does seem to work. ..
But, my friend Daniel figured out a workaround when I asked to confirm
this behavior on his windows setup (and it is does behave the same for
him).  The first clue was this:

 >>> f = tempfile.TemporaryFile()
 >>> type(f)
<type 'instance'>
 >>> g = open("temp","w+b")
 >>> type(g)
<type 'file'>

so Daniel did a dir(f) and found the 'file' attribute

so if you do (where 'a' is a numpy array)
 >>> a.tofile(f.file)
It works!

writing to the "file" attribute of the TemporaryFile, it works fine!  So
that's good, but still a little hinky.  Especially since it works on
linux...
on a linux platform, what does type(tempfile.TemporaryFile()) return?  I
assume an <type 'instance'>  as well...

anways, so at least there is a quick repair for now.  Good news is, I
assume using 'f.file' would work on linux too in terms of having a
single cross-platform solution.

cheers,
tim