[Numpy-discussion] Final release of Numeric is actually 24.1

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Nov 3 22:51:52 EST 2005

I made a final release of Numeric (24.1).  This is "really" the last
release of Numeric ;-)

I did it because of David Cooke's excellent array_protocol enhancement
of __array_struct__.  I wanted to make sure the final Numeric fully
supported the array protocol including the "faster version."

I also tracked down a bug today in scipy core that was inherited from
Numeric.   A part of me wanted to not fix the bug in Numeric so that
people who need a stable platform will move to scipy core :-)  But the
better part of me won, and I fixed the problem and made a new Numeric
release.

I do hope people are encouraged to move toward scipy core, however.  It
is stabilizing quite rapidly.  All of scipy now builds with the new
scipy core, and all of (full) scipy's 1300 tests pass for both 32-bit
and 64-bit systems.   I will be making a release of scipy_core (probably
called version 0.6 this weekend).  It is still missing finished
records.py, ma.py, and chararray.py modules (being worked on).   When
these are available I will make release of scipy core version 1.0

Best regards,

-Travis