[Numpy-discussion] LinearAlgebra patch

Jeff Whitaker jsw at cdc.noaa.gov
Thu Aug 30 13:08:07 EDT 2001

Chris:  The ATLAS project (http://www.netlib.org/ATLAS) provides a
mechanism for creating optimized BLAS/LAPACK libs on almost any
(unixish) platform.  The tuning process is very complicated.  It would not
be feasible to include this in the Numpy distribution - however the
mechanism does exist to link these libs when compiling numpy.  Perhaps a
more realistic goal would be to modify the setup.py script to
automatically detect ATLAS and use those libs if they are installed.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        Email  : jsw at cdc.noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Web    : www.cdc.noaa.gov/~jsw
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124