[Microbit-Python] Microbit in STEM

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:17:40 EDT 2016

Hi Rob,

I am a STEM ambassador with micro:bit too. I'm hoping that the ambassador
community can team up to share knowledge etc. but at the moment things are
a bit fragmented. I have a few things in the pipeline - there's a few pics
below and a video...

https://imgur.com/a/Rn6Cr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=SE4Bb1NHyU4

Nigel Kendrick
aka Linker3000
Hi all,
I've just joined up, having been to a STEM event in Glos, introducing the
microbit. Having retired last year I am now a STEM ambassador, helping out
at a number of schools in this county.

I did look at the microbit (on the web) last year but now it is real and I
have got one to play with. I am impressed with what it packs into a tiny
space; a bigger display might have been good perhaps. Less impressed with
the MS Touch Script environment; will it be popular?

But best of all is the great documentation on the Micro Python site! Far
better (and better written!!!) than elsewhere. Thank you for that, very
heartening.

For what it's worth my first computing experience was with Fortran in 1969;
first micro was an AIM65 (6502 with 20 character display and a PRINTER!)
I worked most of my life as an IC designer, at first in telecoms and
latterly in mobile phone stuff. I did a lot of scripting, mainly for data
reduction and graphing, for which Python has heaven-sent!

It would be great to hear from other STEM ambassadors or anyone involved
with the microbit in schools.
Rob