[melbourne-pug] Code of Conduct for MPUG

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Mar 9 20:25:26 CET 2015

Javier Candeira <javier at candeira.com> writes:

> A Code of Conduct is only a small step. More ideas welcome.

In the interest of acting while we know there's a problem but before
there's a crisis:

It is a good idea to adopt an aspirational Code of Conduct for the
group, addressed to on all members.

In addition, we should also adopt a policy that specifically details
what officials (“management”?) will *do* in response to a complaint.
This is more specific, is binding on management, and talks less about
aspiration and more about concrete action.

I have successfully instituted Anti-Harrassment or Hostile Conduct
policy at other organisations to target concerns of under-represented
groups.

One which I recommend as a model is that of the Center for Inquiry
<URL:http://www.centerforinquiry.net/pages/policy_on_harassment_at_conferences>.
It described what is unacceptable behaviour, and gives some
representative examples. It gives a clear action a complainant can take:
contact staff identified ahead of time at the event. It prescribes
actions the staff must take: record-keeping of complaints, optional
investigation and remedial action.

That's a good policy IMO because it is mostly telling the group's
responsible officers what they must do, part of which is to make clear
to anyone who wants to complain what the results of that complaint will
be.

In combination with a Code of Conduct, which is mostly telling attendees
what they should do, a Hostile Conduct Policy is the enforcement arm
that makes it clear what the response will be for infractions.

--
 \        “When I was crossing the border into Canada, they asked if I |
  `\      had any firearms with me. I said, ‘Well, what do you need?’” |