[Matrix-SIG] Re: Why is there fast_umathmodule.c and umathmodule.c ?

Travis E. Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 15:43:43 -0600

> :I have been looking at and using the source from the umathmodules and
> :noticed that fast_umathmodule and umathmodule are nearly identical.
> :Perhaps somebody could tell me why there two diffeerent versions of
> :basically the same code??
> IIRC, umath raises exception on overflows etc, fast_umath just returns
> NaN.  Some speed vs safety.

Thanks for the quick response.  I see the intention, now.  I'm a bit
confused at how this is done, though since the latest release of Numeric
shows only the following differences.
[olipt@amylou Src]$ diff fast_umathmodule.c umathmodule.c
6d5
<
1982c1981
< void initfast_umath() {
---
> void initumath() {
1986c1985
<   m = Py_InitModule("fast_umath", methods);
---
>   m = Py_InitModule("umath", methods);

These seem like only superficial differences.  I don't see how the two
modules can be functionally different, here.