[Mailman3-dev] Threaded moderation interface

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Apr 8 21:20:51 EDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:46:00 -0400
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 01:02, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> I'd like a view of the moderation interface that displays held
>> messages in terms of threads, and allows action on both individual
>> messages and entire threads.

> Most of the lists I admin probably wouldn't benefit much from a
> threaded moderation interface, but I can see where it would be useful
> for some lists.

Aye, there's a particularly interesting case (for me) in lists which
don't munge Reply-To: where the moderator can/could watch a thread
develop off-list and them approve the whole thing once it has started
rolling.

> OTOH, what I /really/ want is access to the admindb through a real
> mail client, i.e. IMAP.

Hurm, that could be interesting.

> I'm personally just not a big fan of rendering email in HTML for a lot
> of reasons...

I'm finding that this problem space is rapidly turning multi-protocol
where SMTP is but one of the many possible, and plain text or HTML are
but possible rendering models.  I've got this idea for a well formed XML
DTD for email payloads that properly handles quotes, attributions,
attachments...

> ... , so it should /at least/ be possible to interact with a mailing
> list with real mail readers.

<nod> There's also the whole thing about command and control via email
messages.

>> Among other things this would allow easier "best-of" list operation.

> I'm not sure I follow.  Could you explain what you mean?

Imagine two lists, one subscribed to the other.  The child list is
moderated and holds all messages for moderation.  The first list has
fairly heavy discussion.  Periodically, after thread death, the
moderator reviews the threads and picks out those he thought most
valuable (mebe there's a vote) and posts them to the child list.  As
such the child list then becomes the "best of parent list" list.

--
J C Lawrence