[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project (was: Handling Munged From Addresses)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 2 13:54:33 EST 2020

On 3/2/20 8:56 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:

> Barry's roadmap
> for Python2 -> Python3 seems to counter the narrative that MM2 is ill-
> advised to be ported to Python3 (btw, that was posted in Jan of this
> year).

The question is what do people want when they say they want Mailman 2
ported to Python 3.

If it means, porting to Python 3 and fixing a few things on the way such
as adding a real backend database, a concept of "user" and a REST API,
it's at least partially done. It's Mailman 3 core.

If it means cloning the MM 2.1 web UI and pipermail archiver, that is
almost certainly not worth the effort.

A compromise is exactly what Brian proposes. Mailman 3 with a new web
UI, light weight, not based on Django and easy to install. Mailman 3 was
explicitly designed to be separate from a web management UI and Archiver
and to allow different implementations of those to integrate easily with
core.

Postorius and HyperKitty are part of Mailman 3 because we needed
something and that is what people were willing to commit to do. We
always hoped there would be alternatives, and it seems that now Brian is
working on one. There's room for more.