[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project (was: Handling Munged From Addresses)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Mon Mar 2 11:56:34 EST 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-02 at 17:17 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users writes:
>
>  > Interestingly enough, here's a roadmap on exactly how to do it:  :)
>
> Jim, you're not helping.

Stephen, thank you for taking the time to respond.  Although I would
have preferred you respond to the questions that I asked, I believe I
can now see why you don't want to.  Your "Dave Matthews" subthread sent
me down a youtube rabbit's hole of Barry's videos and links. TBH, I can
see why bringing those to the surface aren't favorable. Barry's roadmap
for Python2 -> Python3 seems to counter the narrative that MM2 is ill-
advised to be ported to Python3 (btw, that was posted in Jan of this
year).

> Until there are "I'll do it" hands up, no
> port to Python 3 that is faithful to current Mailman 2 is viable.

That is a piece of a much bigger puzzle.  How are we to attract interest
in coding for MM2 when (omg wow) for the past 10+ years key people have
been drumming a beat that MM2 is dead.

> Pushing it just serves to annoy those who are currently doing work for
> Mailman that they care more about.

I get that, but others may care more about MM2, you yourself have even
somewhat begrudgingly acknowledged this.

> By contrast, your question about security fixes was an entirely
> appropriate clarification, and #ThankYouForPersisting on that
> subthread.

#Mailman3MightBeTheNewNewCoke :-)

-Jim P.