[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 28 13:55:26 EST 2020

On 2/28/20 10:24 AM, Jim Popovitch via Mailman-Users wrote:

> I think that is Brian's and a lot of other people's concern.  3 years to
> implement something into MM3 that was a core feature in MM2.  I realize
> this next question is going to sound bombastic, I assure you it's not
> meant that way:  What other things are missing or not available
> presently in MM3 that are taken for granite in MM2?

I think almost nothing is missing from Mailman core. We don't have
'sibling lists' or 'topics', but other than that, I think it's all there.

Quite a few core settings are not exposed in Postorius but we're
chipping away at that.

>> We are a small project. We have very few people working on Mailman on a
>> regular basis, and everyone is a volunteer, no one is paid. If you want
>> things to happen faster, please contribute.
>>

> ~$ grep "Jim Popovitch" ~/devel/Mailman/NEWS | wc -l
> 10
>
> I don't think that I've been sitting on the fence, in fact I think I've
> been contributing a lot if you include not just source contributions but
> also the PPAs.  I wouldn't say that I'm a principal developer, but I'm
> not off in some remote corner unfamiliar with the product and project.

I know that you (Jim P) have contributed a lot to MM 2 and we all and I
in particular appreciate that, but I was thinking specifically of MM 3.

Note also that I still spend a lot of time helping people with MM 2
questions. This is time that could otherwise be spent on MM 3. This is a
big part of why I've said 2.1.30 will be the last MM 2 release.