[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 27 17:30:16 EST 2020

On 2/27/20 1:37 PM, Brian Carpenter wrote:

Brian makes a number of good points. I just have a couple of
remarks/questions.

> 5. MM3 DMARC handling seems to have improved from reviews I have seen
> but NO BOUNCE PROCESSING.

I don't know why Mailman 3's DMARC mitigation is considered improved
over Mailman 2.1. It's the same. The Settings and Postorius UI for them
are more logical than MM 2.1, but they ultimately boil down to the same
things.

The latest Mailman core (not yet released but available at
<https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/-/tree/master> fully implements
bounce processing. Prior to this, bounce events were stored in the
database but not processed. Now they are.

> My goodness. How do list managers keep their
> mailing lists clean? I know how much a hit to an IP address reputation
> can be done when a server is sending messages out to invalid email
> addresses. However I don't think I can fix that right? It is a Mailman
> core issue? So let's say it does get added to MM Core. How long will it
> show up in Postorius? Especially since not every feature in MM Core is
> revealed in Postorius already.

As I said, it's in the latest version of core. The list specific
settings: 'bounce_info_stale_after', 'bounce_notify_owner_on_disable',
'bounce_notify_owner_on_removal', 'bounce_score_threshold',
'bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings',
'bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings_interval' and 'process_bounces' are
not currently exposed in Postorius, but if Mailman 2.1 lists are
imported with import21, they will be set appropriately and they will be
in Postorius eventually.