[Mailman-Users] The last release from the GNU Mailman project (was: Handling Munged From Addresses)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at domainmail.org
Thu Feb 27 14:24:12 EST 2020

On Thu, 2020-02-27 at 10:56 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> for Mailman 3, but that seems unduly kludgy. There won't be any change
> in Mailman 2.1 which is only waiting for i18n updates for the final
> 2.1.30 release which will be the last release from the GNU Mailman project.

Who decides that there will be no more releases of MM2 from the GNU
Mailman project?

I've got to be honest, Mailman 3 still looks unstable to me.  I get that
it's working on python.org where there are people working on it day
after day, but surely you realize there are a ton of Mailman2 sites that
don't have the time to develop and maintain their own install day after
day.  Look at the MM3 list, there are people who do nothing but offer
full time Mailman hosting and they have problem after problem.  And then
there's the whole "I don't need a CMS for a MLM" argument.  I personally
believe there's a lot more life left in MM2 than a few people want to
admit.

OK, there's the Python2 EOL issue, but python2 isn't disappearing
overnight, certainly not this month or next (as you say the case should
be with MM2).

I guess I'm just still a bit shocked to see you rush to abandon
something so popular and established.

Personally, I'd like to see the GNU Mailman project have a formal
Mailman 2.3 release that supports Python3, I feel that there would be a
lot of support for that.

-Jim P.